Potato & Bean Burgers
EASY VEGGIE BURGERS
When I say easy, I mean veeeeery easy. And so very yummy. This is how I cook – maximum flavour and minimum effort!
You do not need to be doing Veganuary to enjoy these, but if you’re focusing on adding more plants to your plate, then these could make a perfect meal or a side.
I made a mammoth dose of 32+ medium to big burgers, cooked them and then froze half for later.
A very easy trick to make healthy cooking and eating more sustainable long-term is to always cook for multiple meals and freeze a few portions. A little extra chopping is totally worth it as let’s face it, you’ll be spending the time in the kitchen anyway and ding the same amount of washing up!
NOTE 1: The ingredients do not have to be precisely measured. I usually don’t measure, unless I am baking.
NOTE 2: The sweet potatoes act as the glue which holds the burgers together. Too much sweet potato and the batter will be too runny.
NOTE 3: You can make them smooth – just add all ingredients to a food processor, and blitz them (avoid over-processing as you’d want some bits) or like I did here – just mash them up with potato masher.
NOTE 4: Do not make them super big & fat as they may run to the sides a bit during cooking if the consistency is on the softer side.
To make 16-18 medium-sized burgers
750g steamed white potatoes
200g sweet potatoes (2-3 medium)
230g cooked beans net weight (1 can/tetra pak)
1 small leek (optional)
2-3 garlic cloves
Parsley – fresh or dried
Salt and pepper – to taste
Cumin and paprika (or other herbs & spices) – to taste
1. Steam the white potatoes into cubes and set aside
2. Bake the sweet potatoes until soft
3. In a big bowl, mix all ingredients. Either mix them in a food processor or by hand with a potato masher.
4. Line & grease lightly a baking tray and make medium-sized burgers.
5. Bake in a preheated oven on 175C/350F for about 25-30 mins (this will depend on the oven). The burgers should be slightly soft to touch, but not too soft, but if you prefer them softer that’s fine as all main ingredients are precooked.
6. Let them cool and tuck in!